An Assessment of Solid Waste Management in Jamaica, W.I.

Dublin Core

Title

An Assessment of Solid Waste Management in Jamaica, W.I.

Creator

Campbell, Clement

Date

2006

Publisher

New York Institute of Technology

Subject

Refuse and refuse disposal--Jamaica
Refuse and refuse disposal--Environmental aspects--Jamaica

Language

English

Format

PDF

Type

Thesis (M.S.)--New York Institute of Technology

Thesis Item Type Metadata

School

School of Engineering and Computing Sciences

Major

Department of Environmental Technology

Advisor

Sanley Greenwald, P.E.

Abstract

Solid waste management is a major problem in Jamaica. As an underdeveloped country we are lack the technologies and methods to properly manage solid waste on the Island. Without the proper technology or methods the disposal of waste will pose serious health and environmental risks. This study evaluates the quantity of the waste generated, how it is dispose of, the health and environmental impacts, how to reduce waste, and also the proper methods of waste disposal that should be used.
Approximately 945,496 tons of waste are generated a year across Jamaica. About 60 percent of the waste that is generated goes to the major dump sites. This 60 percent is a co-mingling of waste that can easily pollute the environment; the other 40 percent that is not accounted for could cause dangerous problems such as, flooding when the waste is illegally dumped in roadways and blocks up storm water drains.
The best method to improve solid waste management in Jamaica is to develop new landfills and to close the open dump sites presently used today. With improved landfills the sites can be monitored for conditions such as methane gas, leachate, storm water system, groundwater, etc. With monitoring systems put in place, the environment can be protected and public health improved.

Files

Campbell_Clement_2006.pdf

Citation

Campbell, Clement, “An Assessment of Solid Waste Management in Jamaica, W.I.,” Institutional Repository, accessed August 11, 2022, http://repository.nyitlibrary.org/items/show/2776.